- OptiGRO™ is our exclusive blend of DHA, lutein and vitamin E: these important ingredients are found in breast milk.
- DHA for brain and eye development.
- Lutein to support eye health.
- Vitamin E, an important nutrient found in breast milk to support developing cells.
- 3.3 g of protein/100 Cal, 10% more protein than Similac Special Care 24.
- Designed as a liquid option to meet the higher protein needs of very-low-birth-weight preterm infants.
- When fed at 120 Cal/kg/day, meets the recommended 4 g protein/kg/day for very-low-birth-weight infants.1,2,3,4
- Lutein, a carotenoid naturally found in colostrum and human milk, has been shown to help support eye health in the the preterm infant.5,6,7,8
- Calcium: phosphorus content and ratio (1.8:1) supports intrauterine accretion rates.9
- Approximately 2 mg iron/kg body weight per day when fed at 120 Cal/kg body weight per day.
- Very-low-birthweight infants are particularly susceptible to gastrointestinal complications; therefore, feeding should be initiated cautiously.
- Tolerance to enteral feedings should be confirmed by initially offering small volumes of formula followed by cautious progression to higher caloric feedings.
- Spitting up, abdominal distension, abnormal stools or stool patterns, excessive gastric residuals, or other signs of intestinal dysfunction have been associated with enteral feeding before the intestinal tract is ready to accommodate the regimen. At first signs of these problems, enteral feeding should be slowed or discontinued.
- Not intended for feeding low-birth-weight infants after they reach a weight of 3600 g (approximately 8 lb) or as directed by a physician.
- Never use a microwave oven to warm formula. Serious burns can result.
back to top
1 Ziegler EE. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2007;45:170-174.
2 Klein CJ. J Nutr 2002;132:1395S-1577S.
3 Kleinman RE, Greer FR (eds): Pediatric Nutrition, 7th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics: 2014:93.
4 Canadian Pediatric Society. CMAJ 1995;152(11):1765-1785.
5 Canfield LM, et al. Eur J Nutr 2003;42:133-141.
6 Schweigert FJ, et al. Eur J Nutr 2004;43:39-44.
7 Patton S, et al. Lipids 1990;25:159-165.
8 Rubin LP, et al. J Perinatol 2012;32:418-424.
9 Mize et al. Am J Clin Nutr 1995;62:385-391.
Unflavored Ready to Feed
- Similac Special Care 24 High Protein Ready to Feed / 2-fl-oz (59-mL) bottle / 48 ct
Water, Nonfat Milk, Corn Syrup Solids, Medium-Chain Triglycerides, Whey Protein Concentrate, Lactose, Soy Oil, Coconut Oil. Less than 0.5% of: C. Cohnii Oil, M. Alpina Oil, Beta-Carotene, Lutein, Calcium Phosphate, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Lecithin, Monoglycerides, Magnesium Chloride, m-Inositol, Sodium Citrate, Carrageenan, Potassium Hydroxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Bitartrate, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Niacinamide, L-Carnitine, Zinc Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Potassium Phosphate, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Cupric Sulfate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Biotin, Phylloquinone, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D3, Cyanocobalamin, and Nucleotides (Cytidine 5’-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5’-Monophosphate, Disodium Uridine 5’-Monophosphate, Adenosine 5’-Monophosphate).
Contains milk and soy ingredients.
back to top